(read more after the break.)
|Too wide, Too Long, & Too Dirty.|
1.) The outside of barrels get dirty in 2-20 years of storage. To this end I simply cut off the very outside of the barrel. The surface grime didn't penetrate the wood very far so I made a series of small cuts along the outside of the barrel and then just skimmed the pieces off with my father's band saw.
2.) The dimensions were impossible to fit into a carboy. This wouldn't be as much of a problem with a bucket. I simply cut the staves into thirds or halves based on their original width and then cut them down into usable lengths.
3.) Lots of untoasted white oak. I don't know how much of a problem this is, I am going to try a piece of untoasted french oak out in an ipa and see. I also have a few different ideas about how to cut the oak so that it's usable in different beers.
|One of the final products.|
|A few views of...|
|Chips and Staves|