Sunday, March 18, 2012

Belgian Single 100% Brettanomyces Fermented on Apple Brandy soaked Oak

I bought a vial of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis from White Labs to continue my quest to understand brettanomyces. This gave me a second opportunity to make a west coast style sour. My first attempt at this style was a success. I don't want to change too many variables so I'm just changing the brettanomyces strain and using Hungarian oak cubes soaked in Laird's 7 & 1/2 Year Old Apple Brandy. My design of this beer is a simple pilsner and aromatic base lightly hopped and fermented out with Brett yeast. My hope for the flavor profile is a light beer with a light fruity apple brandy and some funk. At the end of the fermentation I hope to have a nice yeast cake of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis and some oak cubes impregnated by it. My Belgian Single is good on it's own; the recipe is solid when fermented with Ardennes yeast; the Brett L edition was good as well. I imagine that this version will be totally different than both the Brett L & the Ardennes. When it's all said and done I'll blend all of the variations and try to come up with a formula for a house Brettanomyces blend. 

Brett B's character according to Wyeast, "This strain of wild yeast was isolated from brewery cultures in the Brussels region of Belgium. It produces the classic “sweaty horse blanket” character of indigenous beers such as gueuze, lambics and sour browns and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. The strain is generally used in conjunction with S. cerevisiae, as well as other wild yeast and lactic bacteria. At least 3-6 months aging is generally required for flavor to fully develop." White Labs eludes to it being the finishing yeast in Orval.

(read more after the break.)

The toasted oak added
color to the apple brandy
Stats:
Boil Size: 2.5 combine gallons
OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Recipe:
1 lbs 3.3 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 98.7 %
0.2 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 1.3 %
0.10 oz Williamette [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 9.2 IBUs
0.20 oz Williamette [4.00 %] - Boil 12.0 min 7.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
0.10 oz Hungarian Oak Cubes w/ Apple Brandy

Mash:
Saccharification Add 6.22 qt of water at 159.1 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min


Brew Thoughts: 
I brewed this as a double batch which I split, so the recipe was doubled what is above. It went well other than a minor freak out about spilling star san on my skin. I lived; it's all good. The lag time between pitching a vial of brett and active fermentation interests me; is it a function of the yeast, or of the cell count. at a future point I'd like to pitch a few hundred million brettanomyces into a beer and see if the lag time is similar to normal Saccharomyces.

No comments:

Post a Comment