Friday, January 20, 2012

Review: Scottish Wee Heavy Stout

Scottish Wee Heavy Stout

Appearance: Brown tinged edges, a light foam dissipates rather quickly into the dark body, light permeates the edges but not through the body at all. When held to the light you can see that this beer is a dark brown not a true black.

Aroma: Sweet and malty, no yeast or hops, no deep roasts, because I didn't use any. It smelled like when I was caramelizing the pale malt.

Flavor: Smooth Caramel, A touch of toasted sugars sitting on a biscuity base. The beer isn't strongly flavored but has a haunting toasted sugar flavor the follows the nose.

Mouth: The silky mouthfeel is perfect and accents the smooth flavors perfectly. The carbonation is a bit higher than I would want a stout but after letting it decant in my glass it was just right. The yeast and the residual sugars were nearly perfect.

Overall: This was a good stout, I don't know that I'd want a keg of it because it just didn't have that it, that wow factor. I am going to rate this a B because there was nothing wrong with it, there just wasn't enough right with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment