Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Belgian Single

Brett Belgian Single

So this is my final review of a brettanomyces pale ale. This is the third of the three strains of brett which I made a 100% fermented Belgian single. This was the best of the three. The brettanomyces Bruxellensis made the most funk of any strain in this wort. The beer was dry as can be. I liked is but it wasn't the most drinkable beer ever because the funk, flavors, and dryness were completely unchecked.

Appearance: Golden and clear with an active white head. The brett flocked well and dropped from suspension leaving a beautiful beer.

Aroma: Funk. This has a hay and spicy barnyard aroma to it. The aroma was great. This strain kicks off those signature aromas that brett is known for.

Flavor: The flavor followed the nose but because of the dryness of the beer it was a bit much as it warmed. I might have enjoyed it more with a bit of residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The mouth was bone dry and carbonation was at an acceptable level.

Overall: This was the funkiest of the Belgian singles. It was also the most enjoyable/least drinkable. I like the flavors but I think that this strain might work better in a more substantial beer or in conjunction with the other brettanomyces strains. I am going to rate this beer as a solid B and move onto phase II of the grand brett experiment.

2 comments:

  1. I've brewed two different 100% brett beers so far. One Brett-C and the other Brett-Brux. I definitely preferred the Brett-Brux over the Brett-C but they were two different beers. I felt that the Brett-Brux stood up and blended really well was an IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of brettanomyces IPAs. I think the brett B would have been better in a bit more substantial of a wort but this wort was all pale malt with a touch of aromatic. It was a fun experiment to do. I should do a write up.

    ReplyDelete