Thursday, June 28, 2012

Orange Blossom Mead


My second attempt at a mead is going to be more of an experimental batch than the first. As I may have mentioned Derek produced a standard mead so I want to keep my meads in the experimental range. To that end I am going to take a carbonated mead and add orange extract and vanilla extract to the bottles prior to capping.

I made this mead with all orange blossom honey.  I've enjoyed this honey on chicken and toasted bread. The honey is very sweet with light floral notes.

Recipe:
1.0 pkg Pasteur Champagne (Red Star)
2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) 100.0 %
2.00 Items* Vanilla Extract (@ Bottling)
3.00 Items* Orange Extract (@ Bottling)
*Approximate number of eye droplets to present in the nose.

Stats:
Bottling Volume: 1.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 2.4 SRM

Details:
I used Laney Farms California Orange Blossom Honey from a 19oz squeeze bottle. For the extracts I will use Orange Extract from Beanilla. I'll be using Tahitian Vanilla Extract. I've used these extracts in sodas I've made; it's a winning combination. I am hoping that as a subtle addition to a mead It'll be like a honey orange soda mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment