Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Iron Brewer Part 2

I submitted my recipe a few days ago with a few minor tweaks. I finalized the rosemary to lemon ratio. I also affirmed my yeast choice talking to my girlfriend when she reminded me of raisin foccacia. This is a flat bread made with raisins, and rosemary. I've seen recipes in my baking books that feature some of the spices contained in apple pie spice. My hope is that the fruitiness from the hops adds the raisin like fruit notes.

To finalize the lemon and rosemary ratio I made a tea from lemon and rosemary. This was a simple feat given my purchase of a french press some time ago.
Lemon Rosemary Tea Tasting (I made 2 batches of tea)

Batch 001 - Even Mix
8 cups boiling water
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp rosemary

Batch 002 - 100% Increase in Lemon
8 cups boiling water
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp rosemary

Tasting Notes:
Batch 001 was very rosemary dominant; the lemon barely registered in the foreground of the flavor the aromatics of the rosemary were crazy, this is going to be a good ingredient. Batch 002 was better, the rosemary didn't dominate much, I am going to try one more batch later with fresh zest.

Recipe Tweaks:
After reading a bit about Admiral as a bittering hop I have decided that the metallic taste imparted by this hop is not what I am looking for. I'll be using Sorachi Ace with a bit blended forward into the Strusselspaltz to hopefully accent the lemon flavor. After reading the Hill Farmstead interview over at Embrace The Funk I was interested in ICU counts for consistency sake across my beers. 10g in 3gal is 833 ICU. Their Mimosa product was around 500 ICU, this allegedly provided plenty of rindy citrus flavor. I am going to reduce my grams of citrus zest by about half. The Mimosa also featured Brett which I will assume added some amount of citrus flavors. 6g of lemon and 3g of rosemary

Final Submitted Recipe:
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 54.5 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 36.4 %
4.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 4.5 %
4.0 oz Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) 4.5 %
0.20 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 14.3 IBUs
0.30 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 4.3 IBUs
0.05 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 2.2 IBUs
0.20 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min 1.3 IBUs
0.05 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min 1.0 IBUs
6.00 g Lemon Zest (Boil 0.0 mins)
3.00 g Rosemary (Boil 0.0 mins)


Brew Day:
Brew day looks like it will be on or about the 29th of this month. This will give me 2 weeks to ferment the beer out and then I'll bottle it. It's a tight time table to brew, bottle, and mail a beer but it's my hope that everything works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment