Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Belgian Triple

A Belgian Triple is a strengthened Enkel without the addition of browning additives. The relatively crisp mouth feel is delivered by pumping up the alcohol with 100% fermentable clear Belgian candi sugar leaving the charicteristic dry mouth feel and light body but with a deceptive alcohol. My goal here is to take a relatively similar recipe to my enkle, add candy sugar and see what happens. If this produces a tasty treat then I'll be onto something.

My procces with this recipe was to take my single recipe which is about 6lbs of Pilsner Malt per five gallons and to double it. Which is basically what I did, then I increased the gravity with candi sugar. This should pump up the alcohol a bit without increasing the mouth feel and body. I bumped up the hops a bit, and I am hoping it's smooth and good.

(read more after the break.)

Boil Size: 1.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated FG: 1.010
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes 

2 lbs 2.8 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 76.0 %
1.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 2.1 %
10.0 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) 21.9 %
0.40 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - 60.0 min 28.4 IBUs
0.10 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - 10.0 min 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)

Saccharification Add 6.21 qt of water at 163.4 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 for 10 min

Brew thoughts:
This brew day went so much better than Friday. I did not burn my hand. Brewing two beers this went suprisingly well. The Tripple was easy the candi sugar melted into the beer quickly after the mash and will hopefully provide much more sugar for the belgian yeast to eat. With 25% of the sugars coming in the form of candi sugar I am excited to see how this turns out. The beer looked right coming out of the kettle into the carboy. I had boiled too vigorously and had to add a little more spring water with about 30 minutes left. Fermentation was a bit to vigerous, and it blew out the top; I am not worried about infection because it was still blowing out crap when I refilled the airlock with starsan.

No comments:

Post a Comment