Saturday, July 28, 2012

Soft Pretzels 2.0

So I might be a touch obsessed with soft pretzels right now. This happened with Garlic Potato Bread, and then with Artisan Pizza. I like making bread. There is something about it that feels good. When you're kneading the dough, and pressing it out over and over by hand it just feels good.

For batches 2-3 I did the overnight rise in the fridge, I believe that it improved the dough. I also tried one batch with a soda bath, the other with an egg wash, changed the process, and increased the sugar. See the details after the break.

(please read more after the break.)

This is the best recipe thus far.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (dry)
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt (dry)
3 tablespoons brown sugar (dry)
2 teaspoons instant yeast (dry)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (95 degrees) (wet)
2 tablespoons olive oil (wet)

1 Egg scrambled for an egg wash

Coarse sea salt; for garnish

Process:
  1. I combined the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Then I added the water/oil and mixed the dough into a course ball.
  3. After that I kneaded it until it was just right.
  4. Once perfect, I placed my dough into an oiled 2 gallon ziplock. 
  5. I let the pretzels rise overnight in the fridge.
  6. I made the pretzels in the morning. Shaping pretzels is easy; you'll figure it out.
  7. When the pretzels were made I brushed on the egg wash.
  8. Then I sprinkled on coarse sea salt because that is what I had in the house.

Results:
Fantastic. The ones I wrapped around the sausages were tremendous. I can't wait to share these with Kyle. I am absolutely thrilled with how all of this is going.











No comments:

Post a Comment