Thursday, May 24, 2012

Berliner Update

So I wanted some Berliner refermented with fruit and some normal Berliner Weisse. Fruiting isn't exactly to style but I thought it would be a nice style with a mild lactic sourness to combine with the sweetness and natural tartness of bramble fruit. Bramble Fruit is the family of fruits that includes raspberries, blackberries, dewberries, and their various descendants. Oregon Fruits and Vintner's Harvest both produce fine aseptic fruit purees.

On the right you'll see the fruited portion of the beer. I fruited this beer at a rate of 2 pounds of aseptic fruit puree per gallon of Berliner. This is on the high end for fruiting a beer. Given the reasonably low flavor of the base beer I expect the fruit to dominate. I sampled the base beer that I had left to settle covered in aluminum in my moms fridge and it had a soft beer flavor and very little lactic acid. Dominated by fruit but hopefully with the lactic acid and brewer's yeast. I am hoping that the lactic acid bacteria can draw down the sweetness and add that lactic back bone.I hope that I'll have a winner of a fruit beer.

Updated Statistics - Fruited Berliner:

Recipe (as if it were 2.5 gallons):
15.0 oz DME Golden Light (Briess) (2.0 SRM) 11.9 %
15.0 oz DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) 11.9 %
0.23 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 4.2 IBUs
0.6 pkg European Ale (White Labs #WLP011)
0.6 pkg Lactobacillus Bacteria (White Labs)
3 lbs Fruit - Blackberry (0.0 SRM) 38.1 %
3 lbs Fruit - Raspberry (0.0 SRM) 38.1 % 

Stats:
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated ABV: 3.8%

No comments:

Post a Comment