Friday, April 6, 2012

Belgian Single 100% Brettanomyces Fermented on Oak

I used the tape because the
the top wouldn't stay inserted.

I bought a vial of Brettanomyces Clausenii from White Labs to complete the Brettanomyces trifecta. This gave me a third opportunity to make a west coast style sour. My first attempt at this style was a success in that it fermented. I don't want to change too many variables so I'm just changing the brettanomyces strain and using Hungarian oak cubes soaked Vodka then White Wine(as opposed to Red Wine or Apple Brandy). My design of this beer is a simple pilsner and aromatic base lightly hopped and fermented out with Brett yeast. My hope for the flavor profile is a light beer with a nice Brett character and some funk. At the end of the fermentation I hope to have a nice yeast cake of Brettanomyces Clausenii and some oak cubes impregnated by it. My Belgian Single is good on it's own; the recipe is solid when fermented with Ardennes yeast; the Brett L edition was good as well. I imagine that this version will be totally different than both the Brett L & the Ardennes. When it's all said and done I'll blend all of the variations and try to come up with a formula for a house Brettanomyces blend. 

Brett C's character according to Wyeast, "Isolated from English stock ale, this wild yeast produces a mild “Brett” character with overtones of tropical fruit and pineapple. B. clausenii can be used as a primary strain; however it is typically inoculated in conjunction with other yeasts and lactic acid bacteria. A pellicle may develop in bottles or casks during conditioning."

(read more after the break.)

The white wine turned brown
Stats:
Boil Size: 2.5 combine gallons
OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Recipe:
1 lbs 3.3 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 98.7 %
0.2 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 1.3 %
0.10 oz Williamette [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 9.2 IBUs
0.20 oz Williamette [4.00 %] - Boil 12.0 min 7.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Clausenii
0.10 oz Hungarian Oak Cubes w/ White Wine

Mash:
Saccharification Add 6.22 qt of water at 159.1 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Brew day:
This was the second half of a split batch. I did it as a single batch because the beers are identical up until they are added to the carboys. So double the recipe above if you plan to make a double batch, but the contents of 1 gallon of this beer contain the above recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment