Friday, September 16, 2011

Cinnamon Treacle Old Ale

The signature flavor of an old ale is treacle. Treacle is "uncrystallised syrup produced in refining sugar", and has a "distinctively strong flavor, slightly bitter, and a richer color than golden syrup".

To fit this beer to style I wanted a highly apparent malt profile with a good complexity; I wanted the Maris Otter to contribute to a nutty English base, and the caramel malt to add a passive caramel flavor. I wanted to add treacle to add a traditional flavor. I split the treacle additions between golden and dark to test the flavors imparted by treacle in a one gallon batch. I want a balanced malty-sweet flavor so I went with around 50 IBU to get a bitterness ratio of approximately 0.75. I normally use Nottingham yeast from Dan-star for English ales, but for this beer I wanted to use Windsor for a profile with more esters. It looks like it will finish with a sweet character at 1.015. I plan to add cinnamon to accent the flavors involved; if golden syrup and dark treacle add a treacle tart flavor to the beer it might mesh well. Optionally I might add a touch of port aged oak cubes for a subtle oaked/fruit wine flavor layered in, or maybe rye whiskey for a spicy oak flavor.

(read more after the jump)

The Recipe (1 gallon):
2 lbs 4.0 oz Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 89.2 % 
2.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 5.0 % 
0.8 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) 2.0 %
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 
1.0 oz Golden Syrup 2.6 % (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.5 oz Treacle (100.0 SRM) 1.2 % (Boil 5.0 mins)
.5 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Windsor (Dan-star) 


I don't want to drive off the aromatics of the treacle and it doesn't need to be mashed so I am adding it near the end of the boil, additionally I am adding the cinnamon at the same time for the same reason. I am going to attempt to pitch the right amount of yeast instead of a whole packet for this beer based on beersmith calculation.


Stats:
Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 %
Bitterness: 51.1 IBUs
Calories: 232.4 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 20.2 SRM

Mash:
Saccharification: Add 6.34 qt of water @ 160.0 - 152.0 for 75 min
Mash Out: Heat to 168.0 F - 168.0 for 10 min

Brewed with no problems at home, my brew process for small batches is getting better and I'm getting some new equipment so that will require another processes post.

No comments:

Post a Comment