Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cheap Chili Chicken

Huy Hung Foods Chili Sauce & Honey + Chicken
Low calorie chicken dinner.
Anyone I've ever met knows my affinity for Asian food. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese; I love all of it. It's the interplay of flavors that I like. Sweet and sour, sweet and spicy, hot and spicy I love it all. You can find various vibrant flavors melded together to create something greater than the sum of their parts.

After a late night at the office and a trip to the grocery store I still had to feed myself. This is when I knew it was time for Cheap Chili Chicken. It's like a sweet and spicy Korean Chicken Nugget. It's good on it's own, it's good leftover and it takes very little time to make.

(please read more after the break.)

I eat this meal more than once a month; I eat it sometimes with a salad, occasionally with rice, but mostly as a naked protein supplement. The genesis of this meal was in an attempt to make sweet and sour chicken at home. The chicken was the boss, but the sauce was lacking. As my tastes changed and I became a fan of the general's chicken. So I decided what I liked about that and went after it. Spicy + Sweet, with an Asian flair. Sriracha is was my jumping off point and I vacillate between the Sriracha Sauce and Garlic Chili sauce both from Huy Fong Foods.

Recipe and Process:
Chicken: 
1 Lbs    Chicken
1 Tbsp  Corn Starch for dredging
1 Tbsp  Oil for cooking

Cube the chicken into bite sized nuggets. Dredge the chicken in the corn starch. Fry the chicken in the oil until golden brown and cooked through. Drain the chicken in paper towels in a colander while you prepare the sauce.

Sauce:
1 Tbsp  Huy Fong Chili Sauce
1 Tbsp  Orange Blossom Honey

Mix together and begin to cook in the pan. When it begins to thicken and cook re-add the chicken and stir to coat. Cook until it adheres to the chicken and the chicken is thoroughly coated.

Results:
You'll find a delightfully spicy chicken with sweetness from the honey. The crisp nuggets reveal moist chicken that is both low fat and nutritious. The brilliance of the recipe is that if it's too hot you can add more honey the next time to get the right spiciness for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment